Deborah has extensive experience in advising and working closely with clients on a wide variety of patent, trademark, and copyright matters, particularly in the pharmaceutical, chemical, biomechanical, light electrical (semiconductor), and software technology areas. Her experience includes counseling clients regarding Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) filing strategies, providing pre-ANDA clearances in preparation of ANDA submission, preparing freedom-to-operate opinions, and crafting and negotiating various agreements such as licenses, co-existence, and non-disclosure agreements. She also manages and maintains patent and trademark portfolios for both domestic and international companies conducting business in the aerospace, consumer/retail goods, food/beverage, industrial, medical, and pharmaceutical fields as well as service-oriented industries. Her practice also involves handling trademark and trade dress disputes including oppositions, co-existence, enforcement, infringement, and other related concerns.
Deborah’s scope of experience includes serving clients in industries that include:
- Pharmaceutical companies in connection with their development of small molecule drug products, including strategic planning for ANDA filings, determining relevant patents and published applications, developing legitimate positions regarding validity and infringement/non-infringement concerns, and procuring patents for new small molecule drug products
- API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) suppliers
- Medical devices, including surgical implants, devices designed for use in surgical procedures and feed-set implements for tube-feeding to benefit pediatric and adult patients
- Computer software technologies covering various subjects including word/data processing, printing, search engines and browsing, photo, file and other data organization and management
- Semiconductor device fabrication for use in the manufacture of memory chips and microprocessors
- Chemical compounds and compositions for various industrial applications and consumer uses
- Food and beverage products
- Apparel and personal care including skin care products, hair accessories and styling tools, and cosmetics
Deborah is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the International Trademark Association, the Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, and the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association. She is also Co-chair of the firm’s Inclusion & Diversity Committee.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of California, Davis, B.S. Biochemistry, 1996
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office