Justin focuses his practice on researching and drafting opinions regarding the patentability of inventions, freedom to operate, infringement and validity in the biotechnological, chemical, pharmaceutical, and mechanical arts, as well as assisting in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications. Justin conducts research on a wide range of patent, trademark, and copyright issues, and aids in drafting and negotiating business agreements, including confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements (NDAs).
More specifically, Justin’s experience includes:
- Assisting biomedical technology and medical device clients, including drafting patent applications and preparing freedom to operate opinions for patch products, surgical tools (e.g., suturing devices), and drug manufacturing technology (e.g., powder sampling devices)
- Drafting patent applications and preparing freedom to operate opinions for clients in the polymer and adhesive industries for products including rubber compositions, elastomers, plastics, and adhesives
- Counseling generic pharmaceutical companies regarding the patent landscapes/IP portfolios for branded drugs, assisting with filing strategies and regulatory compliance (e.g., drafting abbreviated new drug application (ANDA) notices in compliance with federal regulations), preparing freedom to operate opinions in anticipation for possible ANDA (Hatch-Waxman) litigation, and drafting patent applications directed to particular tablet, capsule, and oral suspension formulations for generic drug products, including small molecules that can be used as chemotherapeutics, pain medications, anti-inflammatories, or immuosuppressants
- Drafting patent applications and preparing freedom to operate opinions in the mechanical arts field of automotive technology (e.g., tire plys, tire tread), as well as claim construction, drafting motions and briefs, and conducting legal research for patent infringement litigation related to construction vehicle parts
Prior to joining the firm, Justin served as a judicial attorney for the Honorable Frank D. Celebrezze, Jr., in the Court of Appeals of Ohio, Eighth Appellate District, where he conducted legal research and drafted preliminary opinions and orders on a wide range of criminal and civil issues, including contract and arbitration disputes. During law school, served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Brendan J. Sheehan in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas. He is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A. Biochemistry and Political Science, 2010
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office