Jim is a partner at Pearne & Gordon LLP. His practice involves patent, trademark and copyright prosecution, litigation and licensing. He concentrates in the areas of digital electronics, signal processing, communication and general electrical and mechanical technology, including the protection of computer software.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Jim was a major in the United States Air Force. He tracked emerging technologies and planned, programmed and implemented policies for the graduate education of over 1,000 officers annually. He developed and taught graduate courses in computer networks and communications engineering.
Jim is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Cleveland Bar Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association (President, 1997-1998), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., Cum Laude. The Order of Barristers; Moot Court Board of Governors.
- Arizona State University, Doctoral study; Digital Signal Processing, Electro-Optic Systems. Dissertation Topic: Error Detection and Correction Coding Techniques.
- Southern Methodist University, M.S. in Electrical Engineering; Statistical Communication, Optimal Systems Control.
- Eta Kappa Nu, National Electrical and Computer Science Honor Society.
- University of Akron, B.S. in Electrical Engineering.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern
District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office